Oh My Darling!

Posted on 2021-06-032021-06-03  Leave a comment on Oh My Darling!
LSP20210603a
LSP20210603b 1

Well that didn’t exactly work as planned. The “Oh My Darling” sculpture works great as a light display. As a fountain that isn’t supposed to leak all over the surrounding environment, no. Those two coats of low viscosity epoxy that were supposed to seal everything? Didn’t. Not only are there leaks around the bases of the acrylic tubes, which wouldn’t have been a surprise, there are also leaks in the wall joints. I have no idea how those could have been a) loose enough and b) not sealed by the epoxy, to actually let quite a bit of water through.

Then there’s the flow volume. The pump just isn’t up to the job. There are 2 issues. First, it just doesn’t have either the pressure or volume to push water out of any of the tubes – even the shortest – to flow more than a dribble. Of course, it may be the small diameter air line I ended up using for the plumbing. Then there’s the Polar Vortex at the intake. It’s quite impressive in its miniature way actually. But the end result is that the pump is seeing as much air as water.

So everything is outside drying out. When dry, I’ll put it back on the workbench as a display item. No soothing sounds of water cascading out of Luna’s South Pole, sustaining our first attempt at living on another orb.

Urn for 100 kg

Posted on 2021-06-022021-06-02  Leave a comment on Urn for 100 kg
Urn100kg a

This one is made from a spare short Maple board. I’m also using a small piece of Roasted Maple and one of Olive. I have no client for this, it will be an example of my work and available. It’s sized for the remains of a person of up to 100 kg mass (220 lb weight). As always, the grain is matched around the perimeter.

Fountain Sculpture Lit

Posted on 2021-05-222021-05-22  Leave a comment on Fountain Sculpture Lit

The plumbing will have to wait for my latest Amazon order to arrive. Meanwhile the epoxy is cured and the electronics parts work. The controller is app-based and has 200 pre-programmed patterns as well as full manual control. The second epoxy clear flood filled in the lower areas and hopefully sealed the acrylic tubes to the base. It also produced a glossy finish. I am pleased.

2 Urn Boxes

Posted on 2021-05-202021-05-20  Leave a comment on 2 Urn Boxes
2Urns Fs
2Urns Ms
2Urns Ds

Four coats of tinted Livos Natural Oil brought out the character of the maple and walnut beautifully. The matched release magnets work perfectly. To open the boxes, they are placed face to face according to the ebony insert alignment marks. The lip on the top aids in using a fingernail to lift the lids. The two boxes will hold ashes for a person of up to 90 kg (200 lb) so should be plenty large enough for most. To close the boxes, the lids are inserted and the boxes separated. A gentle push downwards locks the mechanisms.

I am very pleased with these. Should you desire a set for yourself or someone special, please contact me.

Epoxy Flood

Posted on 2021-05-172021-05-17  Leave a comment on Epoxy Flood
LSP20210517

Rather than buying just a litre of epoxy, Nine45 sold me an entire ChemTec kit of 11.34 litres. That’s probably more epoxy than I’ve used in my life so far. I mixed about a half litre for painting the top side of the fountain base. I used less than a quarter of it painting the entire top and sides. Then I added small bits of the sample EcoPoxy colour powders that I have. To mix them into the epoxy I used a small painter’s brush to blend them in. I had prepared a tray for the excess. It’s about a third full. This epoxy is quite low viscosity, with a 72 hour cure time. I may do a transparent second coat on the base once this one is cured.

Urn Boxes

Posted on 2021-05-122021-05-12  Leave a comment on Urn Boxes
URN20210512

This is a follow-up project to the two Booze Boxes. This is a matched pair, with wood grain running consistently between them. They will hold half the client’s ashes each. I am still working on the lid release mechanism. I’m not sure if my idea will work in practice. I’ll find out tomorrow. If not, I’ll revert to the exposed magnets.

Some Epoxy Applied

Posted on 2021-05-092021-05-09  Leave a comment on Some Epoxy Applied
LSP20210509

The last of my EcoPoxy was just enough to coat the underside of the base and access panel on both sides. The mix ratio was off on the last batch for the panel, so it will need to cure for a few days longer than usual. It can sit aside while I work on the other parts.

A few days ago I drilled holes in the base for the power feed and switches. If a solenoid activated valve is available I’ll add a power drain feature, which will involve two more holes on the perimeter.

Once this layer is cured the next step is to coat the top and install the light cylinders. That won’t be for at least a few days.

Tensegrity Test

Posted on 2021-05-022021-05-02  Leave a comment on Tensegrity Test
Tensegrity1

Way back in the dark ages of University I built several Tensegity structures. They were inspired by my reading of the thoughts of R. Buckminster Fuller, a true visionary. Those structures are long gone. This afternoon, lacking any urgent projects, I laid out the components for a test based on a Lego tensegrity structure I saw recently online.

It works. I didn’t get the tensioning screws working, but it is stable enough to prove the concept. I may use this approach in future projects.